Saturday, January 28, 2012

Small Things



For Small Things


I don’t know how many white eggs
or brown the goose laid that gave her down
to fill my parka and keep me warm.

But I’m grateful.

Sometimes a leaf falls when I am
not the least bit lonely, a reminder
that someday . . . someday.

And I’m grateful.

Under snow the ring I lost stays
bright with the hope for spring.  
A seed catalog came in the mail today.

I’m grateful.

It gives me a garden to plan
while the last log burns to ash—
a warm hearth to remember home,

to remember home.

                              —Donnell Hunter
                                        28 January 2012

1 comment:

  1. I saw a leaf fall this morning from the Texas oak that leans over the pool. There's nothing wrong and everything right about a list of "gratefuls." Unlike you, however, I was a "bit lonely." When the humidity rises and the occasional fog chooses to hang around till noon, I think of Escondido and my youth, my careless youth sometimes, and wish I had known birds and trees and, perhaps, even cared enough to open the Burney Seed Catalog with springtime zest. That might have made, the echo says, "all the difference" now.

    ReplyDelete