Tuesday, February 21, 2012

River Rocks



River Rocks


Sometimes the river is not ice.
But we have nothing to ask.
We could listen, like river
rocks do, perhaps learn what
the current is trying to say. 
Little sprays burst for a moment,
fall back in the stream.  Maybe
they tell us what we wanted
to know when we fell and ice
kept its own counsel last winter. 
It didn’t even say, I’m sorry
or I told you so.  But now the river
is free.  All sorts of sounds
make sense.  Maybe we should
shut up and listen, like my brother
said at Lake Powell, and be,
like the rocks, quiet one day.


                              —Donnell Hunter
                                        21 February 2012



                                      


2 comments:

  1. Love the rocks, donny. They have a life of their own; sacred in ancient time as holy markers, mineral memoirs, full of water if need be. This is one of your finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. The photo got me started, but I kept noodling it.

    I've had an idea in my head today I want to explor further, maybe tomorrow. The Atonement is the ultimate manifestation of agency. We didn't ask him to do it, but he chose when he offered and we rejoiced because we had faith he could bring it off. I'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete